Visit Red Revolution Media's online store for all your socialist, progressive and protest fashions. From t-shirts to cushions, there's something for everyone!

Advertisement

ICC Condemns ‘Unlawful’ US Attempt to Block Court’s War Crimes Investigation Via Threats and Coercion

The head of the International Criminal Court expressed shock late Tuesday at the Trump administration’s continued threats to the institution and accused the U.S. of unlawful conduct.

Chile Eboe-Osuji, president of the body, accused the Trump administration of attempting to coerce the court “in order to have justice the way [it wants] it.”

The U.S. said this month it would restrict visas for ICC officials taking part in an investigation into war crimes in Afghanistan, which was authorized in March, as well as their families’ visas. The administration also threatened to open its own probe into corruption at the ICC.

Last week, Attorney General William Barr said that by investigating war crimes in Afghanistan—including those perpetrated by the CIA and U.S. troops as well as the Taliban and government forces—the ICC is “exceeding its mandate and violating the sovereignty of the United States.”

“This is unlawful… In any liberal democracy, or even not so liberal democracies, you pick up a statute book and it will tell you that it is against the law to coerce a court of law,” Eboe-Osuji told The Guardian on Wednesday. “Even in the U.S. itself, the law forbids that form of conduct.”

An ICC investigation would likely uncover information about CIA “black sites” that were set up around the world, where U.S. authorities tortured detainees. Earlier this year, the U.N. said at least 100,000 civilians have been injured or killed in the last decade. The U.N. began tracking civilian casualties almost a decade after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan.

The ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, confirmed in April that her visa had been revoked shortly after the investigation was announced.

Eboe-Osuji told The Guardian on Wednesday that he was confident that the 123 member states of the ICC “will understand this as an attack against them too.”

On Tuesday, nearly 70 of the member states expressed support for the ICC. The Costa Rican and Swiss delegations drafted a statement affirming “unwavering support for the court as an independent and impartial judicial institution.”

“We remain committed to an international rules-based order,” reads the statement. “The ICC is an integral part of this order and a central institution in the fight against impunity and the pursuit of justice, which are essential components or sustainable peace, security, and reconciliation.”

“We call on all states to ensure full cooperation with the court for it to carry out its most important mandate of ensuring justice for the victims of the most serious crimes of international concern,” continued the member states.

The statement was signed by U.S. allies including the delegations from the U.K., France, and Germany.

Separately, France—which also sent troops to Afghanistan and which could potentially be implicated in the war crimes investigation—called the Trump administration’s threats “a grave attack on the court and a further undermining of multilateralism.”

Human Rights Watch applauded the show of solidarity by the 67 member states.

“Multilateral support for the ICC is key to deterring the chilling effect of the Trump administration’s outrageous effort to undermine justice for victims,” said international justice director Richard Dicker. “Member countries will need sustained vigilance and to be ready to take further steps to push back against U.S. bullying of the court.”

Advertisement


SUPPORT RED REVOLUTION MEDIA


This website is not sponsored or endorsed by big business, corporations or billionaire oligarchs, we have no resources and no backing. We rely on you to keep going.


Our monthly expenses include hosting services, specialist website subscriptions and services, photo media subscriptions, newswire services, and marketing. We currently are unable to issue any payment to writers.


It is our hope that we will one day be able to be a people funded and maintained service who are uniquely positioned to give a voice to the voiceless without any influence from corporatism.


If you value our articles please consider a donation to ensure the continuation of our work. Thank you.


DONATE

 


SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Sign up to our newsletter and follow us on social media to get the latest news, updates from Red Revolution Media.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Advertisement

Going Underground

Going Underground airs three times a week on RT as Afshin Rattansi and his team go underground to discover the stories that aren’t being covered by the mainstream UK media.

Common Dreams

This article is republished from Common Dreams under a Creative Commons 3.0 license.

MOATS

Mother of All Talk Shows is a British talk radio show hosted by socialist politician George Galloway.

Middle East Monitor

This article is republished from Middle East Monitor under a Creative Commons 4.0 license.

RT

This article is republished from RT.

RT creates news with an edge for viewers who want to Question More, coveringstories overlooked by the mainstream media and providing alternative perspectives on current affairs

American Herald Tribune

This article is republished from American Herald Tribune under a Creative Commons 4.0 license.

MintPress News

This article is republished from MintPress News under a Creative Commons 3.0 license.

The Grayzone

This article is republished from The Grayzone

FAIR

This article is republished from Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) under a Creative Commons 4.0 license.