27 children between have been either killed or wounded in just 10 days of fighting in Yemen the United Nations has revealed. The carnage includes seven children between the ages of four and 14 who were killed in an attack on a fuel station in Taiz.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has identified a new escalation in violence near Sanaa and in Taiz over the past 10 days, pointing out that the death toll in the area is likely to be even higher than what has been immediately recorded, with “continuous attacks” being reported in Yemen’s capital Sanaa.
“Seven children between the ages of four and 14 were killed on Friday in an attack on a fuel station in the Mawiyah district, in the southern Yemeni city of Taiz,” UNICEF’s executive director, Henrietta Fore, told reporters. She added that there were other children reported dead in Yemen’s Houthis-held capital of Sanaa as a result of “continuous attacks.”Henrietta Fore, UNICEF’s executive director
It wa in March of 2015 that Saudi Arabia and its allies, supplied by the United States, Britain and France, launched a massive campaign against Houthi rebels in the country in an attempt to maintain their proxy government in the country. The conflict is seen in the wider regional context of Saudi Arabia attempting to achieve complete hegemony over their rival in Iran.
The recent study by the UN found that the Saudi-led war on Yemen has been responsible for the deaths of a staggering 233,000 people, almost 1% of Yemen’s entire population and a number far higher than previously thought. Findings from the study include significant rises in the number of civilians killed through the side effects of war, with 131,000 having perished from starvation, thirst or disease since 2015. One child is currently dying in Yemen every 11 minutes and 54 seconds.
Critics have contended that the violence amounts to genocide and crimes against humanity.
“Nowhere is safe for children in Yemen. The conflict is haunting them in their homes, schools and playgrounds”Henrietta Fore, UNICEF’s executive director,
The United Nations has called on all sides in the conflict to “protect children at all times and keep them out of harm’s way”, demanding that “attacks on civilian infrastructure must stop and calls for peace in Yemen must be heeded.”
While the British government officially claims that it has no direct involvement in the war in Yemen, the evidence speaks to the contrary with at least five members of the Special Boat Service injured following direct confrontations with Houthi rebels and the revelation that British forces are maintaining the Saudi aircraft involved in the bombing campaign on Yemen, aircraft that were sold to the Gulf State by Britain. The British government has also sanctioned the sale of £4.3 billion worth of weapons and equipment to Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the conflict in 2015. These sales include the Typhoon fighter, missiles, components and the expertise to maintain these arms. It is said that without British support, the war in Yemen could not continue.
Support Red Revolution
Red Revolution is not sponsored or endorsed by big business, corporations or billionaire oligarchs, we have no resources and no backing. We rely on you to keep going.
Our monthly expenses include hosting services, specialist website subscriptions and services, photo media subscriptions, newswire services and marketing. We currently are unable to issue any payment to writers.
It is our hope that we will one day be able to be a people funded and maintained service who are uniquely positioned to give a voice to the voiceless without any influence from corporatism.
If you value our articles please consider a donation to ensure the continuation of our work. Thank you.